National Title Contenders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

National Title Contenders

Post  dotts on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Never too early to start talking about who could be in the National Championship game this year...

Obviously im going to say Flordia is in as the unanimous #1, I have been a huge Tebow since he was a freshman and he has only proved that he can win

but for the #2 it gets tougher because of the Red River Shootout on 10/17 is going to help cut down some of those options. Right now I am leaning toward OU as I cheer Stoops because of his Iowa connections and because my High School football coach was an assistant there so i might be a little bit biased (yes i realize this would be a rematch of last years game but it was an awesome game so wouldnt want to see a rematch). But I am also keeping my eye on Penn State, Va Tech and Alabama. Va Tech and Bama play each other their first game of the season, and Penn State has a tough road through the Big Ten (would have to go undefeated) and dont really play any tough games outside of the Big Ten so they might be passed over for somebody else that has played a tougher schedule

So what are your thoughts?
dotts
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: National Title Contenders

Post  gameface1324 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Unheralded teams to keep on eye on to be in the title game:

UNC
Va Tech
Big East Winner if they go UnDft'd - WVU
Oregon

But I think pretty much the winner of the RR Shootout will play either Florida or Ohio State, same 4 teams, different year
gameface1324
Admin

View user profile http://cfbo.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  edwvu76 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:09 pm

Well, the normal teams, UF, USC, Texas, OU. OU can't seem to win the big game though. Of course I want WVU to win it, and if our O-line can play this season, it could be a good one for the EERS!!!!
edwvu76
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:53 pm

I've only read a few of the conference previews in my copy of Phil Steele this yr...but I think it's going to be Florida vs Texas...Even though I'm a diehard Buckeyes fan I think Florida won't go undft'd but will get in along with Texas. If OSU went undft'd I'd see them going to the title game but if they lost a game they're not in. I wouldn't put Penn St in personally if they went undft'd..i mean come on that non conference schedule is beyond weak...The RR shootout is gona be crazy but I see Texas getting it done again. That's all I have so far but I'm sure my opinions will change as the season goes on.

PS: Taylor Mays for Heisman!!!! and watch out for those Western Kentucky Hilltoppers!!! lol
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dotts on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:19 am

DMT1809 wrote:I've only read a few of the conference previews in my copy of Phil Steele this yr...but I think it's going to be Florida vs Texas...Even though I'm a diehard Buckeyes fan I think Florida won't go undft'd but will get in along with Texas. If OSU went undft'd I'd see them going to the title game but if they lost a game they're not in. I wouldn't put Penn St in personally if they went undft'd..i mean come on that non conference schedule is beyond weak...The RR shootout is gona be crazy but I see Texas getting it done again. That's all I have so far but I'm sure my opinions will change as the season goes on.

PS: Taylor Mays for Heisman!!!! and watch out for those Western Kentucky Hilltoppers!!! lol

who do you see them losing to? SEC champ game?
dotts
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:41 am

I see them losing to LSU then running the table. Although Snead will have better numbers in the SEC Title Game.
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:39 pm

how do you guys think this season is gona play out? I think Florida and Texas are still the teams that are gona make it in..USC will probably end up third cuz I know my Buckeyes are gonna destroy Iowa...there's no chance in hell Pryor plays the way Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi did today lol 5 picks? lol...D you guys think if both TCU and Boise run the table that they should each get a BCS Bowl bid? and if the BCS did some shit like put them in a game against each other who would win? I'd say TCU Cool Here's how I think the season is gona end:

1. Florida
2. Texas
3. USC
4. Cincy
5. LSU
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MaccMane24 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:07 pm

I'd love to see Boise State get into the NC game, one of my good boys that I played highschool with plays DT for them (Mike Atkinson) but let's be realistic, they're schedule is farrr too soft. I mean, even if a team like Texas or Oklahoma caught a loss they're season would still look more impressive than Boise's just because they play in the WAC. I think that the schedules are trying to compliment Boise's soft schedule and good program by having them play teams like Oregon and stuff like this year. And they proved they can handle a big-name school with the way they handled them.

I'd love to see USC in the Nat. Champ. I'm a die hard Trojans fan and unless Pete and the boys come out strong in the 2nd half - we're not looking good. The one thing the men of Troy always have a tough time defending is a scrambling QB. They're so good at all other facets that it's their kryptonite, Carroll being the first to admit it.

Texas is looking like a sure-fire shot this year as long as they don't have a meltdown like against Texas Tech last year. I don't see Florida losing to anybody else the rest of the year. That would make for a good championship!

Taylor Mays for Heisman? I'd love to see it but I don't think so, DMT. lol
MaccMane24
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:50 pm

LOL the way SC defense is playing he's out the running early lol there's not much of a front runner this yr for the heisman lol
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gameface1324 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:21 am

I really wanna see a TCU vs Oregon game for Nat Title, but that wont happen.

Texas has the most all around team of the top 3. Bama has the best D, and Florida is better on offense than Bama, but better D than Texas.

I REALLY hope TCU, Cinn, Iowa, Boise all go undefeated, if for no other reason than to turn the BCS on its head, and hope for change
gameface1324
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:42 am

i wanna see Cincy and TCU go undefeated :-D Boise plays in the Wac and yeah they whooped Oregon but I don't wanna see them play in the National Title game unless they get a tougher schedule...I don't wanna see Iowa go undefeated cuz it means a loss for my Buckeyes!!!! lol
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:50 am

Yeah I think a playoff is the best system...take the top 8 BCS ranked teams and have em play through December...all the other college football divisions do it while the student athletes have mid terms why not Div I? I'm not a BCS projector but if we had an 8 team playoff we might be able to see:

1. Florida vs 8. Boise
2. Bama vs 7. TCU
3. Texas vs 6. Cincy
4. Iowa vs 5. Oregon

I think Oregon is jump big after dominating USC lol
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MaccMane24 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Certainly. Heart breaking loss. Barkley's the man and will win one or two NC's before he leaves SC. It's the first time Pete's started a freshman and I think he'll be much better than Palmer, Lienart, Booty and Sanchez. The defence is a little suspect this year, I'm not very impressed with the linebackers that often come from a lineage is lunatics and nutcases flying around to the ball. NOBODY could tackle Masoli and he didn't even really play all that well. I mean, yeah he made guys miss but it was quick little side steps nothing rediculous that wouldn't let players tackle him. Cushing, Maualuga and Matthews DOMINATED him next year so maybe we need a little more experience with our LB core as well. I hope these guys give themselves a head shake and come out next week with a vengance.

I don't think there's any way Iowa will keep up their undefeated season against OSU. They're playing decent in a weak Big 10 this year. Santzi threw FIVE picks yesterday and they still come up with the W? I donno. Teams that just barely hang on like Iowa don't often beat teams that are coached by someone like Tressell. I think Terrelle P is still a little bitter the beating my Trojan boys handed him in the beginning of the season and I bet he comes out in two weeks and throws bombs all day.

I think Texas is a sure-fire bet for the NC and I'm betting it'll be Texas and Florida because I can't see either of them finishing without an undefeated season. Texas has no ranked opponents on the rest of their schedule and took a huge win in Oklahoma State last night and improved to now NINE defensive touchdowns this year after they ran back two of Zac's throws for pick 6's. They proved they can handle Heisman candidate quarterbacking and they're defence is tough as shit.

I don't see Florida losing unless somebody devises a defensive style over the next three weeks THAT CAN STOP TIM TEBOW! I don't know if it's that he has the best blocking up-front in the country but I don't see what's so impressive about him. He's got a weird style of running, he's NOT fast by any means... he just gets the job done. I don't think Tim Tebow will ever play QB at the next level and if he does I guarentee he'll be a bust. But maybe not because he won't be a high over-all pick so define bust... mid first round pick has an average career... that's about right so...

It's all in the air we'll have to see how this one plays out.
MaccMane24
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Yeah in my opinion Tebow is one of the best players i've ever seen in college football my 23 years on earth but he's not gona be an NFL QB...he might be able to be used in a good wildcat scheme but he's like a FB/TE who can throw a little bit lol...Texas and Florida will run the table. I gotta disagree about Barkely yeah he's gonna be great but I don't think he's gona be better than Carson Palmer who is a top 10 NFL QB...i might even say he's the 5th best but when you're playing for the Bengals all those bad years it's not gona show lol like Stephen Jackson on the Rams or KG when he was with the T Wolves lol
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gameface1324 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Iowa will destroy Ohio State. Destroy.
gameface1324
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MaccMane24 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Barkley's going to be MUCH better than Palmer. Much.

I dare you to look at the numbers he's put up at the end of the season and the numbers Palmer put up as a freshman. Wink
MaccMane24
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Your dare is accepted sir!!! lol I think he's gona be a stud tho lol he's going into these hostile stadiums and puttin up numbers...and he loves the larger crowds lol he might get a Heisman, and doesn't seem like a soft pretty boy like Leinart lol
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MaccMane24 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:36 pm

He seems like a good, solid kid who is intent on spending four years in the program. I bet he'll be a monster by the time NFL teams are looking at him. I'm not going to rule out a Heisman but if any position in the USC offense is capable of it, it's the QB position with the plenty of running backs they use and how much they spread the ball out in the passing game. I'm none but faithful that with more game experience he'll just continue to get better. All good freshmen quarterbacks possess the ability to throw the ball well and manage a game. Matt's not only proven he can pass effectively, can manage the game clock and lead his team to game winning drives. Matt's game has an element that I think we've yet to see in a freshman QB, especially in the last couple years - he has the ability to tune out a large crowd and win big games on the road.

Last night was a rough night for him because his main middle-threat TE Anthony McCoy didn't make the trip to Eugene. One of our deep threats, Ron Jon was back but it's obvious since his injury he's not playing as well as Trojan faithful had hoped. The USC system heavily relies on their tight end to create mis match problems and force defences to bring extra pressure on them with defensive backs, leaving one of our receivers more suseptible for single coverage. Unfortauntely, we've got Rhett Ellison and Blake Ayles both sophmores without tons of experience and the big play ability McCoy possesses. I see Ayles becoming a force faking his blocks and getting into the flats making plays in his junior and senior seasons but he's certainly proven he'll make mistakes (dropping a sure-TD on the 1st or 2nd drive?). It's back to the drawing board, thankfully we've now got a true freshmen who we can build the program around and young talent all over the rest of the field and they'll be a force within a few years.
MaccMane24
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DMT1809 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:43 pm

yeh man college football is defined by the QB and imagine how good he's gona be as a junior...he might go pro lol after Bradford's decision to come back you're gonna see a lot of underclassmen leave for the big bucks lol he probably lost like 40 million by making that choice..he won't be the top QB picked in this year's draft I'd say it's gona go to Clausen or Locker (yes a huskies homer pick) lol if they declare...stafford got like 70 million with his contract and bradford will be a mid or late 1st rounder probably...so he's only lookin at 25-30 mil...i woulda went pro lol you dont gota live in detroit buy a house in chicago and helicopter in to each home game lmao you could afford it!!!!
DMT1809
All-American
All-American

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MaccMane24 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:31 pm

Haha. I think Matt's the type that will stay four. I think he's interested in playing pro but he's only 19 and from what I've heard he's very happy and content with the position he's in right now. He seems like the type to stick out 4 years, after all most kids in his position are forced to red shirt a year so I don't see him declaring early. Had you asked me this question about Mark Sanchez at this time last year I would've been more inclined to say "I wouldn't be surprised" especially after the Rose Bowl win - I knew he would. Matt seems like the type with a good head on his shoulders and will leave USC with not only a degree but also a high first-round pick guarentee. I think he'll be twice the player Stafford is when he's ready to go pro... and Bradford for that matter.
MaccMane24
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dotts on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:59 pm

NC hopefulls

undeafeated SEC team (either flordia or bama)
v
one of the following teams
texas, cinny, boise st, tcu, oregon or iowa

Now texas has an easy schedule most likely to finish undefeated but i will say if Nebraska somehow gets into the Big 12 champ they would be teh best bet to spoil their chances.

Cinncy still has to play @ Pitt and WVU both which are ranked teams and can spoil their chances

boise st and tcu are both an outside chance and would need all the for mentioned teams to lose

oregon winning last night (which i called and nobody believed me) really helps there chances

iowa has Ohio St as the last big test left, Minnesota looks good too and has the potential to pull the upset. Also Northwestern has given Iowa fits at home the past couple of years.

Of course my dream would be Iowa v Bama in the nat champ so it would be a rematch of the 2005 capital one bowl between the hawkeyes and nick saban
dotts
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top